why this, why now?

I've decided to try out a blog because I seem to have ideas and get ideas all the time, with no central and accessible way of documenting these ideas. It could be ideas for my own personal projects, ideas for teaching design, design inspiration, or a place to put up some of my own design/art/creative stuff.

So here we go, lets see how well it suits my intentions....

Friday, January 28, 2011

process, enjoy the journey

Looking through some of my stuff I found these 2 images, which i have never seen together previously.  Its interesting to see how the painting began, and how it ended up.  This process is what I really enjoy about painting.  Although unless you document this process, all you see is the finished product without appreciating how it all began.  Kind of like the design process in that students often want to get to the final design, without really documenting or indulging in the process enough. 



This painting was based on photos taken from one point and turning 360 degrees, then composing them into 3 separate strips.  The photos were taken in 2004 when I was living in Galway, Ireland and the painting was completed in 2006 once living back in Wellington.